For the muffins:
- 2/3 cup sugar
- zest and juice of 2 small lemons
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup non fat Greek yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons poppyseeds
For the glaze:
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Center a rack in the oven and preheat oven to 400F. Prepare your muffin pan or whatever muffin cooking apparatus you will be using, and place on a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, rub together the sugar and lemon zest until the sugar is moist and you can smell the lemon.
- Whisk in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the yogurt, eggs, vanilla, lemon juice, and canola oil until well blended.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and with a rubber spatula gently and quickly stir to blend. Do not over-mix. Stir in the poppy seeds. Divide the batter evenly in 12 muffin cups, I like to use an ice cream scoop to measure this out.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the tops are golden brown and a cake tester comes out clean. Allow the muffins to cool for about 5 minutes, and then remove them from the molds and let cool to room temperature.
- To make the glaze, whisk together the confectioners’ sugar with 1 1/2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Add more lemon juice as needed to get it to the consistency so you can drizzle the glaze over the muffins.
The glaze was a little too sweet, so we would recommend to add some vanilla!